Thursday, September 8, 2011

The History of Lancaster County

After several failed attempts to add my library research findings to the course mind map, I gave up and began this course blog post instead. I honestly tried to edit the course mind map, but the "add idea" button wouldn't light up by dragging my cursor over it. Luckily I already browsed the items available for the MU & Local History branch of the map to stay up-to-date on my topic.

My library search unearthed an extensive volume of archives concerning the history of Lancaster County.  I will narrow my search to the time period we are after, which is of course anywhere from 1820 to 1920. This could prove to be tricky considering the twenty-some chapters that I have to sift through during my research. But as with all great masterpieces, or any work for that matter, it requires time and patience to complete to the fullest of your ability. And mark you I am prepared to take on this task.

In the very beginning when we had to preference our topic choices, I knew I wanted to cover the history of this area. I come from Lebanon County, which is next door to Lancaster, but still outside of its unique legacy. I am curious to what life was like in Lancaster during the 19th century, and taking this viewpoint I will compare it to my perception of what I originally believed 19th century life was like in general. 

How this history will tie into the rest of MU & Local History I am not sure. Hopefully Christiana and the Christiana Riot will be mentioned to connect it to the findings found on the course mind map. I am confident that Millersville will be covered in the archives, and thus Dr. Lyte’s Address can be woven into the tapestry of Lancaster’s traditions. And finally the whole picture can be painted from the standpoint of Sally E. Bolton, in order to bridge the final gap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment